Saturday, August 21, 2010

Effective Communication For Me

In the present world, everyone is able to communicate with one another through the usage of various communication channels. The key question is, how many of them are truly capable of communicating effectively?

When it comes to defining effective communication, I am sure different people will have different views about it. To me, effective communication means the elimination of misunderstandings. I do not want to undermine the importance of disseminating the correct information and ideas, but often, I realize misunderstandings and disagreements arise due to communication breakdown between the parties involved.

I feel that effective communications skills are important for me because they are extremely useful and applicable in almost every situation. Every day, there will definitely be some form of interaction and exchange of ideas between family members, friends, and people that I meet in the campus. Thus it is important that I am equipped with these skills, so that I am able to communicate better with them.

Despite attending just two sessions in the ES2007S module so far, I feel that I have benefited greatly from the activities in the classroom. I have learnt useful things, such as the 'You-Attitude', the importance of active listening, as well as the variations in the interpretation of hand signs, concept of time and punctuality, and even type of eye contact pertaining to different nationalities and cultures.

Finally, I hope that three months from now, I can communicate more effectively, in both verbal, nonverbal and written form, with friends, and strangers too!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Yong Feng,

    I also have the same "definition" of effective communication with you: "elimination of misunderstandings".

    Your post reminds me the time when I was interning in USA last summer. It lasted 10 weeks and the first few weeks were very terrible and scary :s I was totally shocked, disappointed, stressed... when facing difficulties in communication with people there. They didn't understand what I said because of my accent and pronunciation. I didn't understand them either because of their very very fast speed T____T

    I scared when talking with them. I talked less and then I scared more, and then I talked less... It was like a circle.

    After several weeks, the situation was better. At the end, I still enjoyed my internship there.

    Because of my weak conversation skills, I feel that I wasted my first few weeks there...

    If only I would have taken this course before going to the States haha. I would enjoy more than I actually did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with that misunderstandings and disagreements will occur due to communication breakdown.Ineffective communication can indeed cause alot of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bich Hong!

    Thanks for being the first to comment here! Speaking of different accents, I had my share of encounters as well.

    Initially, I had difficulties trying to catch what foreigners were to trying to say, but I gradually got used to their accents. I would say it comes with practice. However, you are the first Vietnamese that I spoke to. Your accent is definitely unique to Singaporeans, and I must admit that I missed some of the words on Friday when we spoke, so I had to ask you to repeat. Hehe.

    P.S. No worries for the duplicate posting. I have tidied it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yong Feng!

    I agree that communicating ineffectively can lead to lots of misunderstandings which would strain our working relationships with others.

    As technical personnels, we are trained to make assumptions in our designs and often a time something that is straight forward to us might not be straight forward to another party. These wrong assumptions we make would cause major misunderstandings in the way people percieve our ideas. Thus, eliminating misunderstandings is important when we communicate with people.

    See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yong Feng,

    You got the point! Interaction and exchange of ideas among people take place in our routine life. No one can be excluded. And so, the one who has excellent communication skills always stands a better chance to succeed in most circumstances. Let's us study hard in this course so that we will win a better life in future :D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yong Feng!

    I also feel that I have benefited lots from our class, and imagine! We have this feeling after only 2 sessions. Wonder how we would feel at the end of this whole semester? I sincerely hope I will be able to communicate better and I believe everyone in the class will be great communicators!
    Let's strive together. See you around. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yong Feng,

    I have enjoyed myself in the first two ES2007S tutorials, too! I personally feel that they way how it were conducted by Mr Brad - Read the relevant theories, practise them in class and discuss if we had exercise the theories effectively. It really healped me have a better understanding of effective communication.
    How about you guys?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Yong Feng, for this clear, concise post. I really appreciate the fact that you feel that you've already learned something in the course.

    Your focus on misunderstandings is quite natural. Often times something only becomes apparent to us when it's a problem. What skill deficiency do you think might most often lie at the root of such misunderstandings? Could you identify one, at least in your own experience? And what area do you think you need to work on the most?

    I look forward to reading more of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for taking time off to comment on my post. I have read through them all and sincerely appreciate your input.

    To Brad:

    You are right in saying that things only become apparent to us when there's a problem. Personally, I think mistaken assumptions are the roots of most misunderstandings. That includes having different expectations of the opposite party, or misinterpreting others' comments. So the skill that is lacking here is the ability to be in sync with what the other person is thinking and conveying.

    As for my own experience, I'm not sure if this fits but I will give it a go! When I was younger, no matter how well I did for tests and exams, my father would say I didn't do well enough and then picked at the questions that I lost marks. Instead of a 'well done' pat which I expected, I had to endure the criticism.

    Now, looking back, I guess his reason for not giving praise is because he didn't want me to be proud and stop improving. But at the time, I saw him as someone that was unreasonable.

    What area do I need to work on the most? I would say, the ability to agree to disagree. Sometimes there are perspectives that are neither right nor wrong, and everyone should be entitled to our own opinions and move on.

    ReplyDelete