Looking back on the past 13 weeks, it was really amazing how much we were to accomplish within the relatively short time span. I think we have all enjoyed ourselves in the process of picking up useful and effective communication skills, as well as life skills.
To be concise, I will talk about the most important thing that I learnt from this module, that is, to speak effectively in front of an audience.
Prior to this module, I did not have many opportunities to do presentations. Initially, I was slightly daunted by the amount of public speaking that we had to do but I then realized that these experiences were opportunities for me to brush up on my presentation skills. Throughout the course, I put in a substantial amount of effort to make sure my presentation skills were up to mark, be it in the peer teaching, the oral discussion or the oral presentation. Today, I think my presentation skills have improved significantly as compared to three months ago. But this achievement would not have been possible without the comments by Brad, my group members and the rest of the class. To Brad, I really appreciate the detailed comments that you have written in our assessment. To my group members and my classmates, I sincerely thank each and every one of you, for all the comments and encouraging words that you have written in my blog and voiced out during the class. All of these have been instrumental in my pursuit of a better presenter.
Next, with regards to blogging, I think it is imperative for students to constantly practise and hone their writing skills. Unlike speaking, blogging requires one to be more careful with the use of grammar and the choice of words. In addition, I thought it was actually a good platform for me to get to know my classmates better in the first few weeks, especially when we were still a little reserved in class.
Finally, I think we all chose to take this module at the start of the semester because we wanted to improve our communication skills, but I think none of us (at least for me) would have expected to come away with so many friends and so many pleasant memories, on top of learning the syllabus of the course. Once again, I thank Brad and all of you from Group 10 for making my learning experience so enjoyable!
Hi Yong Feng,
ReplyDeleteI fully agree with what you had said! ES2007S gave us more than what we had expected. I never dreamt that courses in NUS could be fun!
The workload was heavy but we really learnt and had fun and made lots of friends in the process.
Thank you for the learning opportunities you created for me. I bounced alot of ideas off you.
Keep in touch!
Hi Edmund,
ReplyDeleteWow, I didn't know I 'created' learning opportunities for you. It's good that we all learn together and help one another along the way. That should be the spirit!
Hello YongFeng,
ReplyDeletei feel very happy to be in the same project team with you. i also learnt how to give a speech in front of many people. actually i was quite shy and unconfident because of my poor English. with the presentation and feedbacks, i think i also improved a lot. our collaboration was a fruitful experience! agree?
you are a reliable and productive team member!
yep,let's keep in touch!
Hi Yong Feng!
ReplyDeleteYou had been excellent throughout the course! I believe that all of us had seen your improvement in communication skills.
While for blogging, you always provide constructive comments and advice to every classmate. Most of your writings hold with the 7Cs as well.
Keep in touch :D!
Hi Yong Feng,
ReplyDeleteI think presentation skill is the one of the most important skills I leanred from this too. All of us learned a lot on how to convey our messages and engage the audience.
For blogging, I agree with you that it is a very effective way for us to get to know each other better when we were still reserved in class. For me, I learned a lot on how to comment on other people's ideas. You all set me very good examples.
By the way, for the peer teaching, your group really did good job and I think maybe you can join in drama club. :D
Hi Yong Feng!
ReplyDeleteIt is pleasant to be learning alongside with you too!
Keep in touch! :)
Yong Feng, your hard work had brought you fruits and I believe that we all saw that your performance were certainly 'up to mark'!
ReplyDeleteAs a FoS student, I had never been "serious" about presentation skill prior to ES2007S, properly because most of my lecturers were more concerned about the quality of the content instead of the presentation skills. So, similar to you, I was a little frightened and worried. However, I would like to thank you and Pavi to make my peer teaching indeed a pleasure experience which then became a great encouragement for me to do more public speaking.
Wish you a final semester to come!
Thank you, Yong Feng, for yet another fine post, one that focuses well on a couple of areas that you feel are key take away points. I appreciate the manner by which you illustrate your opinion with details and the enthusiasm you show for not just the academic side of our module but the interpersonal as well. All the best as you continue your learning journey!
ReplyDeleteHi Yong Feng!
ReplyDeleteIt is really nice to know you! You've brought a lot of happiness in this class. I think your speaking skill is strong. You can easily speak with calmness and fluently. I've learnt a lot from you. P.S. you are really a good actor. :-)
Keep in touch!
Brooks~
Hey YF,
ReplyDeleteI am grateful that I have the chance to be your group mate and I really enjoy the whole process. During the whole project, I gradually understood my strengths and also drawbacks in communication and organizing. You know how I sometimes was stubborn about some weired ideas and arguments. Frankly, I think your presentation skills have a firm foundation before you entered this module. It is so sad for science faculty ignores the importance of presentation in their academic designs. We need scientists who not only can write a good thesis but also knows how to present and promote his discovery. At least nerd who can effectively communicate with other nerds and non-nerds. You are doing really good in your peer teaching and project as well.
Wish you good luck in the finals(and forget the debt)
Best wishes,
Neil